Traveling can be a frenzy these days with long lines at check-in, security, and more. That’s where TSA Pre-Check, Global Entry, and CLEAR can come in to save you time and take away the stress of getting to the gate on time. We’re comparing the three below so you see which may be the best for you and your travel needs!
With a 5 year, $85 membership, you can speed through security and don’t need to remove your: shoes, laptops, liquids, belts and light jackets.
How do you get it and how long does it last?
- You have to apply online http://www.tsa.gov/precheck and schedule an interview (typically only 15 minutes long)
- It’s $85 every 5 years and the cheapest of the three.
- Over 200 US airports use it so you are most likely going to skip the regular line each time you fly
- It’s the only program that reduces your physical security screening requirements.
Global Entry is a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) program that allows expedited clearance for pre-approved, low-risk travelers upon arrival in the United States. Members enter the United States through automatic kiosks at select airports.
At airports, program members proceed to Global Entry kiosks, present their machine-readable passport or U.S. permanent resident card, place their fingerprints on the scanner for fingerprint verification and complete a customs declaration. The kiosk issues the traveler a transaction receipt and directs the traveler to baggage claim and the exit.
Travelers must be pre-approved for the Global Entry program. All applicants undergo a background check and in-person interview before enrollment. Bonus: it does include TSA PreCheck!
Why Go Global Entry?
- It includes TSA PreCheck.
- At $100 for 5 years (only $15 more than PreCheck)
The only disadvantage is that there aren’t kiosks at many locations, you can see the entire list here: https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry/locations
CLEAR is a program that lets you bypass the ID check you have to go through before you get to security. CLEAR works in partnership with the airport security authorities. When you get to the airport, you check in at a CLEAR pod with your eyes or fingertips and you’re able to go on to your gate!
Should I go CLEAR?
- It works in conjunction with TSA PreCheck and Global Entry, so members of those programs still utilize the benefits.
- Typically no line at all
- It’s $179 per year
- CLEAR is currently available at 35+ airports, stadiums, and other venues around the country, with new locations added all the time.